XMLXML (Extensible Markup Language) is a markup language that defines a set of rules for encoding documents in a format that is both human-readable and machine-readable. It is defined in the XML 1.0 Specification produced by the W3C, and several other related specifications, all free open standards.(wikipedia)
- Use customized tags to describe and manage data in specific applications
- Displayable in HTML
- Emphasize simplicity, generality, and usability over the Internet.
- Applications including RSS, Atom, SOAP, XHTML, etc.
- The new data format for EDI
- Case sensitive
- Quotes mandatory
- XML declaration (which version?)
- XML DTD specification (which .dtd?)
- Root element (container element)
- Sub-element (children element)
- .xml for XML; .dtd for DTDs